Sunday, September 22, 2013

From Zahan

Someone recently posted this link (below) on a facebook group and I thought it was very interesting. I think I recall Matt talking about this father and son duo (and perhaps their publishing a book?)



This is David and Ben Crystal giving us some insight into the original pronunciation of some Shakespearean text. This definitely made me appreciate some of Shakespeare's writings a little more and think of them as much funnier than before, but I think it brings up an interesting thought: for all this time that we thought we understood Shakespeare, did we really? David and Ben Crystal demonstrate how so much of Shakespeare's humor is lost, but by misinterpreting how certain words are supposed to be pronounced, mightn't we be missing bits and pieces of how to understand and interpret our characters?

No comments:

Post a Comment