Monday, September 30, 2013

from Desiree

While doing research for my presentation on gender and love in the Renaissance I came across a poem written by Queen Elizabeth I.  In all honesty I had forgotten about this poem.  The poem, "When I Was Fair & Young," is believed to have been written when Elizabeth was in love with the Duke of Anjou.  Some scholars doubt that the poem was written by Elizabeth.  Even so, the poem has merit as a cultural document about the virgin Queen.  I like this poem in particular because it reminds me a lot of Olivia.  The poem talks about what Elizabeth would say to courtiers.  It carries the same sentiments of what Olivia is constantly saying and relaying to the Duke.  The first five line of the poem read:

When I was fair and young then favour graced me;
Of many was I sought their mistress for to be.
But I did scorn them all, and answered them therefore,
Go, go, go, seek some otherwhere, 
Importune me no more.  

The poem also reminds me of what happens with Cesario and how Olivia pines for "him."  The last few lines of the play make me wonder what would happen if Olivia had not fallen for Sebastian.  I find it to be a poem that has raised many questions for me so definitely read the whole poem!


No comments:

Post a Comment