Monday, September 30, 2013

from Francesca

For this week’s blog post, I looked into the constantly questioned conspiracy, did Shakespeare really exist and was he, in fact, the author of the many extremely famous plays we continue to enjoy and study today.  Regardless of whether or not he wrote them, it is noteworthy in itself that we even still discuss the subject.  I have always found it interesting that there is hardly any information out there on him or his life, yet we still go around and around in circles studying what little knowledge we have.  I found some interesting facts while researching that I hadn’t heard before.  The only proof of Shakespeare’s personal handwriting is six signatures, all spelled in different ways, but never spelled ‘William Shakespeare’.  That makes me continue to question, who was that man?  One other thing I found that is extremely intriguing is the fact that the knowledge we have about his life and the people in it never line up with any of the stories or characters in his writings.  I also noted that he apparently spent much of the year living separately from his wife, Anne Hathaway, which was, again apparently, when most of his writing was done.  Was he living a dual life? Why did he need to keep his life separate from his work?  This makes me think about all the characters we are playing with, specifically Maria.  Could she be inspired from somebody real in his life, or did he invent her?  It is amazing to me that he potentially dreamed up these characters and made them incredibly psychological and complex.  He really was the first writer of the Renaissance to make characters like his, so intricate, so human.


No comments:

Post a Comment