Thursday, October 17, 2013

from Francesca


After researching a little bit about Queen Gertrude, I have found some interesting interpretations of her character.  It seems as though her character is an ambiguous one. Many people believe she is very insecure in herself, and relies almost entirely on the men in her life. That being said, many believe that she is extremely shallow, and only thinks about herself, her body and her external pleasures. I think the two come hand in hand. I believe she has a desire to always have a high station, to have power, but I believe that desire and drive is as a result of her extreme insecurity.  Many believe she is an extremely sexual character. That is particularly interesting to me, because it can go either way in this debate of self-security.  Either she is interpreted as sexual because she has such a deep desire and need for affection, or she is sexual because she is so secure with her body and self. It will be interesting for me to continue to explore and discover her character, to see where I believe the truth lies. Some speculations that come to my mind when I think about this ambiguous question of insecurity are whether or not she really loved her husband, and whether or not she married Claudius just to keep her high status, or if she really loved him? There are obviously many characters in Shakespeare (if not all), who are interpreted in many different ways. It will be exciting for me to see what I find exploring the character of Gertrude. 

No comments:

Post a Comment